Standards and specifications
The Regional Standard for Water Services December 2021 provides a regionally consistent method of design and implementation of stormwater, wastewater, and water supply services to meet the outcomes of: safe and healthy water, respectful of the environment and resilient networks support our economy.
The document provides minimum standards for the design and construction of proposed three waters infrastructure that will be vested in council, and to the maintenance, renewal, upgrade or decommissioning of existing public infrastructure.
The Regional Standard for Water Services (RSWS) is to be used in conjunction with the Regional Specification for Water Services - December 2021, which contains the minimum technical specifications for the materials, construction, installation, testing and commissioning of the stormwater, wastewater and water supply networks.
We encourage all developments where older versions are references to meet the most recent version where possible. This is because the version 3.0 documents provide requirements closer aligned with current best practice. Please send any enquires to email@example.com
Revising and reviewing regional standards and specifications
The Regional Standard for Water Services and Regional Specification for Water Services are revised on a regular basis to respond to changes in policy, best practice, technology, referenced standards and legislation.
Revisions to the previous version of the Regional Standard and the Regional Specification can be viewed in the following documents:
The most significant revisions focus on the following matters:
- Reformatting - the documents use numbered and multi-level paragraphs
- Seismic resilience - requirements address all three waters
- Building over or near public pipelines – new requirements and specifications
- Hydrological design – a revised method for assessing hydrology
- Stormwater level of service and mitigation - requirements are now consistent
- Stormwater intake structure – revised design standards
- Pumping stations – clearer provisions for wastewater and water supply pump stations
- Manhole safety grilles – new requirements to prevent falls
- Excavation – revised specifications
- Drawings - now included in the R.Spec, including new drawings for backflow prevention and water supply assets.
All changes are recorded in the following document:
You can view a summary of feedback on draft versions and responses :
We are happy to receive requests for revisions at any time:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post to: Wellington Water Limited, Private Bag 39-804, Wellington Mail Centre 5045, Lower Hutt, c/- Standards
Managing Stormwater Runoff :The use of approved solutions for hydraulic neutrality