In this section
About us / Official Information Act / Official Information Requests

Official Information Requests

Find our responses here

Types of information requests

If the information you are interested in is not available on this website or from our staff, then there are two types of information requests that we can help you with,


Official Information requests

You can request official information held by Wellington Water Ltd.


Privacy Act requests 

You can request to see any personal information we hold about you.

You can make a request for official information under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA) or the Privacy Act 1993.

Withholding information

When responding to your request we may withhold or refuse to give you some information. The reasons for this are specified in:

  • sections 6, 7 and 17 of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987
  • sections 27 to 29 of the Privacy Act 1993.

If we withhold or refuse to give information, we will explain the reason why when responding to you.

Applying for a request

When requesting information you must include a contact option (e.g. email or phone number) and specific details of the information you want. You can also ask to receive the information in a specific way – let us know your preferred method when you make your request. 

We will usually answer your request within 20 working days, although we may take longer if, for example, we need more time to gather the information. We’ll let you know if there’s a delay and tell you the reason for it. Generally, there will be no charge for your request. Occasionally however we may charge for processing an official information request under guidelines set down by the Ministry of Justice. This may be considered if a request is for a significant amount of information, or requires substantial collation and research. We'll let you know in advance if that's the case. If you are an individual, you can ask for any personal information we may hold about you under the Privacy Act 1993.

Ombudsman’s guide to official information requests

Read this guide to find out more about how to make an official request. 



04 912 4470


Send your written request to: The Chief Executive, Wellington Water, Private Bag 39804, Wellington Mail Centre, Petone, 5045


If you have supporting documents for your request, please submit your request via email to with documents attached. Otherwise, use the below form.

Online Form

Your preferred method of contact