Outside your home
- Avoid damaging any public wastewater pipes which pass through your property.
- If public wastewater pipes pass through your property please make sure access to these pipes is not restricted by retaining walls or garden sheds.
- Never plant trees or shrubs on your property within 1.5 metres of buried wastewater pipelines – tree roots can damage the pipes and can cost you a lot in repair bills.
- Make sure gutters and down pipes are connected to stormwater drains (not wastewater). If connected to the wastewater system, wastewater overflows can occur.
- Maintain your wastewater drainage system in good condition. Leaking pipes can block and be a public health risk.
- Never pour motor oil, fuels, solvents or highly toxic substances into the gully trap – dispose of these items safely.
Inside your home
Our wastewater network is only designed for pee, poo and [toilet] paper so please don’t use it as waste disposal. Some handy tips:
- Never pour cooking fats and oils down the kitchen sink – put them in your rubbish bin.
- Don’t rinse coffee grounds down the sink – compost them or put them in your rubbish bin.
- Avoid using a food disposal unit – compost where you can.
- Don’t flush sanitary items – put them in the rubbish bin or a sanitary bin.
- Choose environmentally friendly washing machine detergents.