Wastewater leaves your home through a gully trap and lateral pipes on your property, before entering the publically owned wastewater ‘network’.

The gully trap and laterals within your property boundary are your responsibility, if there are any blockages or damage to these pipes it is your responsibility to get them repaired by a plumber.

What's a gully trap?

A gully trap is a basin in the ground which receives piped wastewater from inside your home before it is emptied into the wastewater network.   Read more

What's a lateral?

A lateral is the wastewater or stormwater pipe from an individual property to the council main.The lateral is a continuous pipe which may cross from private to public land (such as a road or recreation reserve), and may serve more than one property.   Read more

The wastewater network

Getting to a treatment plant.   Read more