July update

Published 31/07/2021

We're working through the analysis of a short list of options. These options focus on three topographic areas.

Karehana update

In brief, the team are working through the analysis of a short list of options. These options focus on three topographic areas:

    • Primary (options to increase the flow from the lower end of Karehana Park to the sea)
    • Secondary (addressing network incapacity in the upper and mid catchment and improving the effectiveness of the primary options)
    • Tertiary (supporting options to enhance the primary and secondary options where suitable).

Multi-criteria analysis is underway right now to assess the impact, effectiveness, risks and costs of the options, individually and in combination. This means:

    • Specialists including engineers, environmental scientists and key Porirua City Council and Wellington Water staff are assessing the options against 10 criteria including impact, practicality and cost.

The preferred options/package of options will be recommended to Porirua City Council for their deliberation and a decision next month (19 August).

Karehana Park Airlie Road Inlet

Later in July the winch will be installed so the grill can be lifted up in the flood. We’re talking to the Fire Brigade about who will operate this. A new grill that is less prone to blockage is being designed and fabricated by Porirua City Council and is due to be installed next month (August).

Keeping in touch

Remember if there is a risk of flooding, or you are aware of a stormwater inlet becoming blocked, please ring the Porirua City Council Contact Centre on 04 237 5089, at any time of day or night.

You can contact Project Lead Ben Fountain by emailing  PlimmertonFloodResponse@poriruacity.govt.nz