It may be necessary to adjust, upgrade or extend the existing drinking water, wastewater or stormwater networks when building or subdividing.

An adjustment may be as small as raising or lowering an existing manhole to suit new ground levels or as large as relocating a section of network in a new position. An extension may be as small as adding a short section onto the existing end of a pipe or as large as planning new drinking water, wastewater or stormwater system (to be vested to Council) to service a multi lot subdivision.

The Regional Standard for Water Services, details the objectives, performance criteria and design requirements when undertaking any works on the existing public three waters networks or creating new public three waters network. Individual Council Code of Practices also provide some additional guidance.

The Regional Specification for Water Services, lists the technical requirements for materials and methods used in construction of three waters infrastructure.

Safety in Design hazard identification and assessments are to be integrated into the design. The design must integrate how to eliminate, or if this is not reasonably practicable, minimise the risks to health and safety throughout the life of the structure. 

manhole driveway Kilbirnie manhole 20190416 151100
28 04 2017 3

Who do I need to contact if I want to make changes to the public network?

Engineering approval is required for all adjustments, upgrades or extensions to the three waters networks. 

Application for engineering approval for works as part of a subdivision or land use consent:

Wellington City Council

Apply to Wellington Water

Hutt City Council

Apply to Hutt City Subdivision Team

Upper Hutt City Council

Apply to Upper Hutt City

Porirua City Council

Apply to Porirua City Council Manager Resource Consent

South Wairarapa District Council

Apply to South Wairarapa District Council   

Application for engineering approval for works outside of a subdivision: