The purpose of a Human Health Mitigation Project (HHMP) is to identify, lessen or fix sources of pollution that may risk public health.
We're currently working on two HHMPs, one in Ōwhiro Bay and the other in Titahi Bay. This is because both the Ōwhiro Stream and the South Beach Culvert have had a history of contamination and continue to return E.coli results that are greater than our Global Stormwater Consent triggers. This triggers the need for a Human Heath Mitigation Project.
As part of these Human Health Mitigation Projects we are:
- Doing water quality sampling to target investigations,
- Inspecting pipes on private property and working with property owners to repair faults,
- Inspecting and repairing pipes in the public wastewater network,
- Reviewing our water quality samples,
- Adding permanent warning signage.
For more information on these projects, please have a look at the links below.